The journey of an amateur seamstress on a mission to create an 1890s gown.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Measure twice, cut once!

I took a boatload of measurements today (thank you to my Personal Assistant, you are a great husband!) and adjusted my dress form.  She has already been a great tool, and now I'm figuring out how to use her more effectively.  I have decided to call her 'Dress-Form Dorcas', Dorcas for short.  Why yes, that is the name of the character played by Julie Newmar in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  It's too bad she got stuck in the back of all the dance scenes since she's so tall.  While my Dorcas certainly doesn't have the same iconic figure, it will help me make fabulous costumes--just as Julie Newmar used to do some of her own sewing.  I can remember seeing her on a talk-show when I was a kid and she explained how she would take in the sides of her Cat-Woman costume to make it more flattering.  When the hostess (can't remember who) made a comment about sewing not being something women did much of anymore, Julie responded something to the effect that every woman should know how to sew at least enough to make sure her clothes fit well.  So thank you Ms. Newmar!  I will take your advice.  I also remember her telling the mostly female audience that women needed to be supportive of each other and never catty.  And now I really want to go watch To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar.  One of the longest movie titles I know, and spectacular performances by Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes, and John Leguizamo as drag queens on a cross-country adventure. 
Starting the hula-skirt approach to adding padding.  I was having a hard time getting everything to stay where I wanted so I could measure and adjust, so I decided to start with a width of fabric the length of my waist measurement and go from there.  This actually worked pretty well, although I ended up not needing all the stuffing on the back.  Sure, this isn't the usual method, but I didn't really have the right materials, so this will work fine enough for my purposes.


I started with the front and added in my mom-belly.  That extra bit of padding reminds me of the two wonderful little girls I am blessed with!

The bottom is all Franken-stiched together!

The dress form all padded out and ready to use.

Although our major measurements are the same, the shape is not.  My ribcage is more elliptical, while she is more circular.  That means I look narrower from the side and she is narrower from the front.  She has no shoulder blades and the padding is not affected by gravity (which affects some shapes!).  I am also resisting the urge to 'suck it in' for the side photo!

The only matching shirts I have are very old and stained undershirts.  Not my favorite outfits!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, my twinfit junior doesn't really take into account motherhood . . . like seeing the method!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accidentally made myself way too fat the first time around, which made it really fun to take out all the extra padding. My goal was to complete this task with my self-esteem intact!

    ReplyDelete