The journey of an amateur seamstress on a mission to create an 1890s gown.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Shoes!

I had (wrongfully) assumed it would not be too difficult to find reproduction shoes from this time period.  Turns out that there is a dry spell between shoes for Civil War reenactors and Downton Abbey fans.  I can find boots for this period, but not evening wear heels.
I was able to find this image online (with limited information, so sure, some of the facts could be incorrect).
1885 Burgandy Satin 
 I have decided to just assume (I know, I know, one should never assume!) that the attributed dates are correct, because I immediately thought of a pair of shoes I already own once I saw the photo of the satin shoes.  Mine are suede, not satin, the heel shape is straight, not curved, the bows are obviously different and there's no sequins.  But hey, I think they're close enough!!
So without a better, more accurate reproduction option, I'll be going with these vintage, but-not-that-vintage, option.  The big bonus is that I already have these in my collection.  Shoes are not featured prominently in this dress as the skirt is full-length, so I've decided not worry about it.  There will be just a little hint of Christmas with red and green--no need to be too matchy-matchy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment