The journey of an amateur seamstress on a mission to create an 1890s gown.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Merry Corset-Mock-Up!

I am waiting for this to get difficult...

I have been dreading and fearing the corset-making process more than any other aspect of this project.  I even bought a pattern (Laughing Moon #100 'The Dore' version).  I was originally going to try out a spoon busk design from Corsets and Crinolines, but balked at how fast all the materials were adding up and mostly the idea of drafting out the pattern.  I  decided to go with something a bit easier for my first attempt.

Here is the mock-up I made to test out how well the pattern will fit:  the striped affect is just because I'm using scraps and didn't have enough of any one color.  I kind of like how it looks, actually.  Unintentionally Carroll College-ish in the colors.


I obviously didn't complete it, but I think it is good enough that I can start on the real thing.  I only had to adjust one set of seams so far--we'll see if there will be future adjustments.  Without the boning, it's hard to tell what it will look like in the end--the dress form is just ever-so-slightly different than me (and she doesn't suck it in very well).  I do have it coming up a little too high at the moment.  I am weighing historical accuracy vs. controlling a large bust.  My current thought is to leave it higher at the front, then trim so it is low enough under the arms to be comfortable.  I have to see if this messes with the waist.  I suspect it will be fine since I have a pretty short torso anyway.  It all seems to work on my toile, so we'll see from here.

Big deep breath--now to start the final draft!

No comments:

Post a Comment